Sunday, August 31, 2014

The Great Minnesota Get Together




The Great Minnesota Get Together

Living in a big city means one thing for someone raised in a small-town; I don't get to see farm animals that often. So when the Minnesota State Fair rolls around for the last week and a half of August, I get a little excited. Okay, really excited, to the point of annoying those around me. 

As an artist I get inspired by the events, places, and people around me. The fair brings me all of my favorite things: food, horses, goats, chickens, and orchids. While getting some cheese curds and mini donuts are always on the list of things to do, my main draw is the animals. This year I was able to bond a little bit with an Arabian Horse who then inspired a late night drawing session. 


Arabian Horse, Watercolor and Colored Pencil

A boer goat head butted someone else's hand away so I could continue petting her. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that I let her chew on the strap of my camera case. It was my favorite moment of this years fair. 

Boer Goat, Watercolor and Colored Pencil

A trip to the fair isn't complete without taking in a horse show at the Coliseum. While I didn't see any Clydesdales this year, I still had the urge to draw one.

Clydesdale, Watercolor and Colored Pencil

Riding the rides on the Mighty Midway isn't something I do every year, but this year I did. The first friday night I attended, it was a beautiful clear night that was great for taking photos. Its a good thing I don't leave home without my Nikon.

Mighty Midway, Minnesota State Fair
The last weekend of the fair is the best! The annual Orchid Show opens. Orchids are one of my obsessions. Even if I weren't into seeing the animals, riding the rides, or eating Martha's Cookies, I would still pay the price of admission to see the orchid show. From exotic Cattleya's to tiny Mormolyca's, I love them all.


Mormolyca Orchid, Minnesota State Fair Orchid Show

I'm already looking forward to next year. If you haven't already gone and are planning to go on Labor Day, you should try the Buckeyes (peanut butter balls covered in chocolate) at Spaghetti Eddies. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment