Sunday, October 26, 2014

Maple Grove Cemetery, Fremont, Michigan

While in my home town for a short weekend, I decided to continue my weekly tradition of cemetery wandering this October and visited the local cemetery. Fremont's cemetery may not be huge, but what it lacks in size it makes up for in age.

Maple Grove Cemetery, Fremont MI, 2014
Prints via Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/208648903/cemetery-black-and-white-photography

As I walked among tombstones of long dead family members of people I graduated high school with some sixteen years ago, I began to realize just how long the cemetery had been in use. The oldest tombstone was for a Ms. Martha Minor who was born in 1799 and died in 1891.

Maple Grove Cemetery, Fremont MI, 2014
Prints via Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/208650261/cemetery-black-and-white-photography

Many areas have long since fallen into disrepair. Broken and scratched tombstones were everywhere, an obvious sign of a careless caretaker (or one caretaker after another for a century by the looks of things). This forlorn cemetery fits my October Halloween minded mood.

Maple Grove Cemetery, Fremont, MI
Prints via Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/208638772/cemetery-black-and-white-photography

I was never a fan of Fremont, probably because I only lived here for four years before joining civilization in the big city. It does have its charms though. The local pizza joint comes to mind. While it only takes a day or two to get me homesick for the Twin Cities, I do have to admit that after wandering this cemetery, I'll have to add another thing about this town that I enjoy. Even the trees seemed show me some love.

Maple Grove Cemetery, Fremont MI
Prints via Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/208639930/cemetery-black-and-white-photography
Maple Grove Cemetery in Fremont, Michigan really is the first cemetery this October that left me feeling a little creeped out (not that I minded). Seems only fitting since it's my last cemetery adventure before Halloween.


No comments:

Post a Comment