Sunday, October 11, 2015

A Walk Among the Tombstones

Minneapolis is one of those cities where, just when you think you know everything about it, you find something new. I've lived here for almost 18 years. My feet are my main mode of transportation. I'm an adventurer at heart and I like to wander. Urban exploration is my game.

Adath Yeshurun Cemetery, Minneapolis
This morning I took a walk alongside Minnehaha Creek, camera in hand, as always. It lead me to Adath Yeshurun Cemetery, a quiet Jewish graveyard set on a steep incline overlooking the creek. It's within blocks of my home. It took 5 years of wandering my neighborhood to stumble across it (quite literally).
Adath Yeshurun Cemetery, Minneapolis
As I walked (or climbed, the incline of the hill the cemetery rests on is the equivalent of five flights of stairs according to the health app on my phone) I was struck by the beauty the Aramaic writings on the tombstones. An autumn cicada sang to me as I found the center of the graveyard.
Adath Yeshurun Cemetery, Minneapolis
Because of the steep incline, many of the tombstones don't stand completely upright. Some fall over completely giving the caretaker some added work to put them right. He was in the cemetery this morning, pulling sod back from a burial site. His greeting was a friendly nod before returning to his work.
Adath Yeshurun Cemetery, Minneapolis
The wind was cool. The creek trickled by along the side and back of the cemetery. That cicada still singing me along. It wasn't until I found the entrance, the gates opening onto France Avenue, that I remembered that I live in the metro. Minneapolis really is one of those cities. Big enough to keep you company, but small enough to get easily lost in.

No comments:

Post a Comment